Ticket prices have gone up a lot since 1987. Back then, you could get a front row seat for $15. Saturday's show in Rochester was $50. And maybe Vince McMahon is overpricing his show, just a little... after all, the Mayo Civic Center was only 1/2 full. And on a sidenote, why do pro-wrestling fans have to bathe in sheep-dip before coming to the show?
If you haven't been to a live, non-televised event, you probably should go. It's fun to watch the crowd, even if the action in the ring is terrible. When the cameras aren't on, wrestlers spend a lot of time standing around in the ring, rolling out the ring, yelling at the crowd, and basically just killing time. Is wrestling really that boring that they have to do all of these time-killing tricks? Probably not. More likely, wrestlers are on the road 200+ dates per year, and they're simply protecting their bodies. Anything more than 5 minutes of hard action would be too much to endure on a nightly basis.
Here's a run down on the matches:
1. Former Tag Team Champions Deuce and Domino lost two a couple of no-namers. Very poor match, and why have two losers win the match? 2/10
2. Mark Henry destroys Jimmy Wang Yang in a squash match. Mark is so beat up now, he can hardly walk. 3/10
3. Michelle McCool makes Victoria submit in a divas match. Why? Victoria is a former World Champion. Michelle beating her makes me think that wrestling must be fixed or something. 6/10
4. Nunzio pins Elijah Burke. That's something you would never see happen on tv! 5/10
5. Big Daddy V and Matt Striker beat Tommy Dreamer and Stevie Richards. Actually, one of the better matches of the night, and they capped it off with an appearance by the Boogieman, who stuffed a bunch of worms down the gullet of Striker. How fun! 5/10
6. Chuck Palumbo defeats Finlay. Horrible match. They do a spot where Palumbo fakes an injury. This kills 10 minutes, and then he makes a miracle comeback, beating Finlay in 30 seconds. Horrible. 2/10
7. U.S. Champion MVP defeats Matt Hardy. Another good match, although MVP used a lot of stall tactics to draw the match out. 7/10
8. ECW Champion C.M. Punk defeats Kevin Thorn. Punk can wrestle, but why do the fans cheer for all of the "baby faces?" Started to make me sick after a while. Thorn is a major heel. He should be cheered! 7/10
9. Kane defeats World Champion The Great Khali by DQ when Finlay interferes. Simply put, Khali cannot wrestle. Actually, he didn't look that bad, but... maybe that's because he did as much as he could before they ended the match. 5/10
And talk about bored? The ring announcer clearly wanted to be some place else. What's it like to have that job, me wonders...